This is a digital copy of a book that was preserved for generations on library shelves before it was carefully scanned by Google as part of a project to make the world’s books discoverable online. It has survived long enough for the copyright to expire and the book to enter the public domain. A public domain book is one that was never subject to copyright or whose legal copyright term has expired. Whether a book is in the public domain may vary country to country. Public domain books are our gateways to the past, representing a wealth of history, culture and knowledge that’s often difficult to discover. Marks, notations and other marginalia present in the original volume will appear in this file - a reminder of this book’s long journey from the publisher to a library and finally to you. Usage guidelines Google is proud to partner with libraries to digitize public domain materials and make them widely accessible. Public domain books belong to the public and we are merely their custodians. Nevertheless, this work is expensive, so in order to keep providing this resource, we have taken steps to prevent abuse by commercial parties, including placing technical restrictions on automated querying. We also ask that you: + Make non-commercial use of the files We designed Google Book Search for use by individuals, and we request that you use these files for personal, non-commercial purposes. + Refrain from automated querying Do not send automated queries of any sort to Google’s system: If you are conducting research on machine translation, optical character recognition or other areas where access to a large amount of text is helpful, please contact us. We encourage the use of public domain materials for these purposes and may be able to help. + Maintain attribution The Google “watermark” you see on each file is essential for informing people about this project and helping them find additional materials through Google Book Search. Please do not remove it. + Keep it legal Whatever your use, remember that you are responsible for ensuring that what you are doing is legal. Do not assume that just because we believe a book is in the public domain for users in the United States, that the work is also in the public domain for users in other countries. Whether a book is still in copyright varies from country to country, and we can’t offer guidance on whether any specific use of any specific book is allowed. Please do not assume that a book’s appearance in Google Book Search means it can be used in any manner anywhere in the world. Copyright infringement liability can be quite severe. About Google Book Search Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and to make it universally accessible and useful. Google Book Search helps readers discover the world’s books while helping authors and publishers reach new audiences. You can search through the full text of this book on the web at http://books.google.com/ — _ a aks q° ¢y R oy A Ce OL 2 (2 (PLL he ae pom Korecat LLL Ley Lee Avy “eg hos UN, be “en aw — ZX Ls / Pr (Fl Low ‘ (pom Ki Koy Lee ma “7 24/100 A. FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX (The Garden of the West Fndies). WITH ILLUSTRATIONS. BY CHARLES EDWIN @ EAYLOR, M.D., F.B.GS. Author of ‘ Leaflets from the Danish West Indies,” “An Island of the Sea,” “ Jumby Hall,” “ St. Thomas as a Naval and Coaling Station,” gc. ge. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PUBLISHED BY THE AUTHOR AT TAYLOR'S BOOK STORE, ST. THOMAS, D.W.I. Ford (123 A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. (THE GARDEN OF THE WEST INDIES.) - ——— 2 ———— a = a ——— ir, _ =e A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. (THE GARDEN OF THE WEST INDIES.) PART IL THE PAST. AsouT forty miles distant from the island of St. Thomas lies the island of St. Croix, another Danish possession, and one which has been known for many years as “The Garden of the West Indies.” It is easily reached from “Our Island of the Sea” either by one of the steamers of the Quebec Line, which touch fortnightly at St. Thomas, or by one of the schooners which ply twice a week between the two islands. A favourite is the “Vigilant,” a trim craft with quite a history of its own, dating as far back as 100 years ago. She has been by turns a pirate, slaver, and a man-of-war; not a plank exists probably of the old “Vigilant” that was built in Baltimore about the year 1800, but the same beautiful lines and the same speed which made her famous as a slaver yet remain, and, to this day, she retains her reputation for these excellent qualities, though now engaged as a Government dispatch vessel and in carrying passengers. Before leaving St. Thomas you are obliged to buy a passport. This costs 32 cents and permits you to pass freely to the island of St. Croix. This beautiful island was discovered by Columbus on his second western voyage on the 14th of Nov. 1493. The Caribs, its inhabitants, called it Ay Ay; Columbus anchored there to obtain water, and while his boat was returning from the shore a skirmish took place with some of the natives, in 6 A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. which several of them were captured. These captives were carried to Spain. In 1625 the English and Dutch conjointly took possession of the island, which, at the time, was uninhabited. In 1649 the Dutch were compelled to leave the island, being driven from it by the superior force of the English. But the triumph of the conquerors was short. In 1650 twelve hundred Spaniards from Porto Rico made a descent upon them in the night, burned their habitations, massacred all whom they found under arms, and transported the remainder with their wives and baggage to the island of Bermuda. In 1651 the French, under De Vaugalan, obtained possession by the surrender of the Spaniards to his force, The island was then rich in forests, but — these were set on fire by the new conquerors, and the conflagra- tion, it is said, lasted several months. But the grounds thus cleared were at once entirely cultivated, and are said to have been “incredibly fertile.” In 1653 Louis XIV. transferred St. Croix with St. Kitts, St. Bartholomew, and St. Martins to the Knights of Malta, In 1665 a newly-formed West Indian Company purchased the island from the Order of Malta; and in 1674, this company having been dissolved by Royal Edict, the island was again annexed to the French Crown. In 1696 the population is said to have been 147 whites, exclusive of women and children, and 623 blacks, but, notwithstanding the extraordinary fertility of the land when the rains were sufficient, yet so frequent and destructive were the droughts at the time, that the French settlers, having demolished their forts, abandoned the island and removed to St. Domingo. In 1720 the island was uninhabited. About this time a project for its settlement was formed in England which was not carried into effect. It was visited by vessels of all nations till, in 1727, the French captured seven English merchant vessels which were lying there and took possession of the island. It continued to be the property of France till 1733, when it was sold to a company of merchants in Copenhagen, called the Guinea Company, for £30,750. The rights of this Company were after- wards purchased by the King of Denmark. In 1754 the island was carefully surveyed and divided into plantations. In 1801 it was taken by the British, but was restored to Denmark after A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX, 7: its possession for a few months only. Again in 1807 it was taken by the English, and was held by them until 1815, when it was again returned to Denmark. During all these years slavery existed, though as early as 1792 the Danish Government declared the slave trade unlawful, and abolished it in 1803. But actual slavery remained in force until the year 1848, when the slaves, on July 2nd, rose in a body and obtained their freedom, which was proclaimed to them from the Fort at Frederiksted* by the Governor-General - Von Shdlten. . On Feb. 5th, 1866, a disastrous fire took place in Chris- tiansted.t A great many fine buildings were destroyed and several families were rendered homeless. Then followed a long series of droughts covering a period of five years. The earthquake of Nov. 18th, 1867, was the next calamity which visited the island. It occurred about 10 minutes after 3 in the afternoon. There were two severe shocks, the sea receded, leaving its bed quite bare, and gathering itself in one mighty wave, came toppling over in immense rollers, carrying all before it. Schooners, brigs, and boats were washed ashore at both towns, and at Frederiksted a large American man-of-war, the “Monongahela,” was landed high and dry on the Bay Street. Many lives were lost and much damage was done to property. The next misfortune was a hurricane, which took place on the 13th of Sept. 1876; this destroyed a great many houses in town and country, besides injuring the crop. The next event of note was the so-called labour riot. For some years the negroes had worked under a law known as the Labour Act, a kind of contract between the negro and the estate owners, maintaining labour at a fixed price. Becoming tired of this an uprising took place on the 2nd of Oct. 1879, which resulted in a con- siderable loss of life and property. Estates were totally wrecked and nearly the whole of the town of Frederiksted was destroyed * Also called West End. It is the port of call for steamers, about 15 miles from Christiansted, and is situated at the west of the island, - t The capital ; sometimes called Bassin. Its situation is easterly. 8 A FEW WORDS ABOUT 8ST. CROIX. There is not much left to chronicle after this event, except to note how rapidly the inhabitants of St. Croix set to work to repair their losses. To look upon its smiling fields to-day, its prosperous towns and people, no one would believe that oarthquake, fire, drought, and hurricane had ever visited it. PART ILI. THE PRESENT. I po not think that many people now-a-days know much about the inner life of the picturesque island of which I ami’ writing. Tourists come and go, making a stay perhaps of twenty-four hours. A stray reporter or author writes a chapter or two about it, sometimes favourably, sometimes not, but rarely is sufficiently said to place its actual merits before those who seek health and pleasure in the West Indies. As the island of St. Thomas is justly famous for its magnificent harbour and unexceptionable coaling facilities, so is St. Croix for its climate, scenery, excellent roads, and the boundless hospitality of its people. It used to be visited annually by a number of Americans who came‘there for a change of air, its climate being well adapted to consumptives. How they came to exchange it for Bermuda can only be attributed to the proximity of the latter to America, which enabled them to reach it quickly. But now this is all changed, for one of the Quebec Line of steamers will bring you to’ St. Croix in five days, or should you be inclined only to touch at Frederiksted, the port of call, will carry you to every one of those “ Islands of the Sea,” that history has made memorable, or the pen of the traveller interesting. But should you remain, you will carry away with you recollections that will haunt your memory for years. And you will not find yourself in astrange country. Though a Danish island, everyone speaks English; and you will be astonished, if you be an American, to find how the products of your own native land have invaded its houses and plantations. A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. 9 American furniture, toys, novels, magazines, dry goods, provi- sions, and machinery are largely imported. All over the country you will see the Cochrane windmill, or others similar, at work, and quite a number of America’s best agricultural implements in use upon the estates. It would be an interesting task indeed to trace the cultivation of the sugar cane from the early days of the old cattle mill, and the very imperfect methods of making sugar among the ancient colonists, who, as Du Tertre, in his Histoire des Antilles, tells us, lived with their lives in their hands for fear of the buccaneers. I can, myself, remember many estates in the island dependent on the old windmill, with its cumbersome rollers standing on end and fed by hand by some poor negro at the risk of losing a limb. It was a red-letter day when the first steam mill was erected. It marked an area of improvement which has been kept up by planters ever since. Up to that time they had been content to follow the track laid down by their predecessors. But they were a sturdy race of men for all that, Irishmen most of them; honest and hard working to a degree; frugal in their habits, they worked un- remittingly to amass a fortune, sometimes returning to their native land to enjoy it, but in most cases passing the rest of their lives honoured and respected in the land of their adoption. It is said that money was easier to make in those days; prices were high, and even a small crop left a fair margin of profit, but from all I can gather, only those who were prudent and exercised self-denial were numbered among the successful. Dry weather would set in, or a hurricane, once ina while, would devastate their crops, bringing ruin and dismay to those who had not laid by for a rainy day. Few of these old pioneers are left. One of them, P. McDermott, Esquire, wealthy and re- spected, at the ripe age of eighty-eight, is yet living in the full possession of his faculties, hale and hearty, a fit representative of his hard-working countrymen, and a bright example of how long a man may live in the healthful climate of St. Croix. There are others that I wot of, as I pen these lines, Danish, Irish, and Scotch, whose lives would serve as a lesson to the rising generation. Those who know them, speak of them with 10 A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. respect and admiration for all that they did in the days gone by when steam and vacuum pans were unknown factors in sugar- making. ° Life is a struggle under any circumstances, and even with the most approved appliances it is not always that the planter can make both ends meet. The beetroot sugar manufacture, bounty- fed and supported by the Governments of Europe, is a formid- able rival to the sugar cane. Prices have gone so low, that in some instances it did not pay to make sugar, and the question has been so serious of late years as to threaten the entire in- dustry all over the West Indies. It is gratifying to note that most of the planters have risen superior to the occasion, and, adopting the latest methods of cultivation and _ first-class machinery to take off their crops, are stemming the tide of adversity which of late years has set in against them. It cannot be too earnestly insisted upon that when 2 man is suc- cessfully opposed in business by another, he can only expect to maintain himself by adopting the methods of his opponent. Thus it is with. sugar-making in the West Indies to-day. Those in Europe who have made the beetroot sugar a paying industry, have only done so by bringing every resource of science and art in its production. It is but natural to suppose if the West Indian planter would compete, he must go and do likewise. This idea seems to be gradually taking root in St. Croix, where several of the large estate owners, by close personal supervision and attention to every detail, with improved machinery and methods, are turning out sugar at a minimum cost, and at a speed that would surprise the planter of a former generation, One of the most notable examples is A. J. Blackwood, Esquire, who, ‘as agent for Messrs. Bartram Bros, of New York, came to this island some twelve years ago and took over their business, which then consisted of two mercantile ‘houses and several estates scattered over the country. Up to that time, Captain Blackwood, as he is usually called the community where he is known and so deservedly ‘ted, had followed the sea as a profession, and from, y yee WwW Es A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. ll literally, before the mast, worked himself up to be a success- ful captain of one of the smartest vessels that ever plied be- tween New York and St. Croix, enjoying to the full the confidence of his owners. He has said that it was with diffi- dence he undertook such a charge as was entrusted to him, but entering upon it with a strict determination to make it a success, and bringing to bear a natural aptitude for adminis- tration, which is all the more surprising from the fact that he had no previous commercial training nor any knowledge of sugar planting whatever, he has to-day the proud satisfaction not only of being a successful merchant, but of having erected one of the largest factories for the manufacture of sugar ever put up by private enterprise in St. Croix. This is at Lower Love, and is surrounded by eleven of the finest estates in the island. These supply it with cane, and, as seen from the fine residence of Captain Blackwood at Golden Grove, also: planned and erected under his supervision, form a beautiful prospect. Far away is the ocean, of which you get a glimpse between the hills, many of which are cultivated to their summits. The fields are alive with busy workers cutting and carting cane to the mill. Little negro cabins peep out here and there from among the trees which grow near to them. Owner’s or manager’s dwellings and windmills, here and there, dot the landscape. Countless hues of green and brown greet the eye whichever way you may turn, from the sombre bistre to the dazzling emerald. Roads of a snowy whiteness intersect the island, completing a picture in which art combined with Nature has almost made perfect. “So freshly fair are everywhere the features of the scene, That earth appears a resting-place where angels might alight, As if sorrow ne’er a visitant the human breast had been, And the verdure of the summer months had suffered blight.” And now let us take a look at the works of Lower Love, whose great white chimney, standing out in the clear atmos- phere, is seen for miles around. Here, all is activity and life. Cart after cart comes in laden with the sweet-smelling canes. _ These are carefully weighed upon a great Fairbank’s scale. Thence they are 12 A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. taken and placed upon the cane carrier, by which they are conducted to a first series of rollers which cut and crush them preparatory to their being crushed by the mill. Thou- sands of gallons of juice spout into the troughs, whence it finds its way into clarifiers, coolers, vacuum pans, and triple effects, going through a variety of processes before it becomes sugar, which, when made, is placed in canvas bags of 300 Ibs. each, and marked to be shipped for refining. The molasses is run off into tanks and barrelled, but not until a first, second, and third quality sugar is obtained from the cane juice. The “bagasse,” or refuse from the cane, is burnt wet as it comes from the crushers and rollers. This is effected by a new process, and if it be considered that $10,000 every crop is saved by it in the manner of fuel, it speaks volumes for the new methods of manufacture so ably advocated by Captain Blackwood, and so thoroughly carried out at the works of Lower Love, a few words about the construction of which may be interesting. The plant of machinery was built by the Pioneer Iron Works, of Brooklyn, New York, and was erected on the Estate Lower Love, in the year 1893 by Chief Engineer L. H. Hansen, from plans drawn by Mr. Peter Penthony, who was then draughtsman in the Pioneer Iron Works. In order to erect this new plant it was necessary to re-construct the old building, which was done by Mason Wm. Peebles, under the supervision of Captain Blackwood. The main building, which was 100 feet long and 30 feet wide, is now 120 by 55. The old walls were raised 11 feet. In order to save the enormous expense for coal, by the introduction of green “bagasse” burning, it was found necessary to re-lay the boilers and build new furnaces or combustion chambers with hot-air flues; a large chimney of great draft-producing power had also to be built. This was effected by Mason Peebles, and, to-day, stands the finest example of such work in the island, its dimensions being 112 feet high by 7 feet diameter, inside measurement. This structure stands on a foundation of solid masonry 11 feet deep by 24 feet square. Its walls at the base are 6 feet thick and 18 inches at top. ~~ A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST, CROIX. 18 This plant of machinery is supplied with steam by a battery of five tubular rollers ranging in size from 16 ‘by 5 feet’ in diameter with 54 four-inch tubes, to 18 by 74 feet in diameter with 100 four-inch tubes, the furnaces being fed with green “bagasse” direct from the mill, which gives all the steam required with the consumption of about # “bagasse” made, the balance being used up for manure. The grinding plant is composed of a set of three powerful rollers. These are 28 inches in diameter. This mill is fed by a Krajewski’s cane crusher, which breaks, cuts, and crushes the cane, extracting about 40°/, of the juice, increasing the capacity of the mill from 50 to 100°/,, obtaining a juice extraction of about 70°, The crusher is driven by an engine 3 feet stroke by 16 inches in diameter, which also drives the cane carrier, the “bagasse ” carrier being driven by the main engine. The evaporating plant is composed of an 84 feet vacuum pan, with a 6 feet triple effect of the Relux type, driven by a pumping engine 3 feet stroke by 16 inches in diameter, and running ten pumps, which do the work of the entire plant. The cooling tower appears as an enormous fountain, and is run by a portion of the above-mentioned pumps. It draws the cold water from the bottom of the dam, passing it through the condensers which take the vapour from the vacuum pan and triple effect, returning the hot water to the top of the towers, where it falls from step to step, the air passing through it and cooling it in its descent, thus enabling the same water to be used over and over again for the same purpose. The capacity of this plant is about 40,000 gallons of juice in 14 hours, which makes about 25 hogsheads of sugar of 1500 Ibs., Danish weight, each. The molasses is separated from the sugar by a battery of four of Weston’s centrifugals. This molasses is then boiled over and made into a second grade sugar, the molasses resulting from this is re-boiled and made into a third grade of sugar, which three grades of sugar give about 9 lbs. of sugar to 100 Ibs. of cane. The washings of the house are then made into rum. It will thus be seen that nothing is lost, and every means employed to utilize the product of the cane. 14 A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. Attached to this fine plant are machine shops, manager's and overseer’s dwellings, negro cabins, &, &. There is a weighing house where every piece of cane is weighed before being carried to the mill, and every bag of sugar after it is made; every gallon of juice is measured, and the whole manufacture is conducted on scientific principles, bemg under. chemical control; the laboratory being in the main building under the supervision of Captain Blackwood’s brother, Mr. J. W. Blackwood, graduate from the Audubon Sugar School, Louisiana. It is satisfactory to note how similar factories are beginning to be planned, one being about to be put up at Estate La Grange. This must be satisfactory indeed to Captain Blackwood, who, with their success, must feel his own assured. Let us wish it to him always, as we should do to every pioneer of progress, every investor of a great capital in manufactures, everyone who gives employment to the multi- tude, every man who overcomes obstacles and prejudices by sheer force of character, honesty of purpose, and a determina- tion to do right on every occasion. There are two towns in St. Croix, Christiansted and Frederiksted, also called Bassin and West End; that: of Christiansted is somewhat old-fashioned, but has some fine buildings, the Government House being & massive pile that. would do credit to a much larger city. The entrance to its harbour is very intricate, it is good and completely land- locked. As in “Our Island of the Sea,” there is an old Fort, coloured red. A few guns peep over its ramparts, more for ornament than use, I suppose. There is also a barracks for the soldiers, with a fine garden — attached. ‘There are several churches, a Lutheran, Episcopalian, Roman Catholic, and Moravian. There are no places: of amusement, but with such splendid drives that the country affords over smooth level roads in the most comfortable of phaetons one passes the time most agreeably. There are comfortable boarding houses, that of Mrs. Pentheny being a favourite one for the officials and Americans. The house itself is finely built, three storeys high. The rooms are commodious, airy, and well furnished, and the table excellent. A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. 15 Mrs. Pentheny is hospitality itself. Speaking of hospitality, this is a quality for which the West Indies and St. Croix in particular, are famous. There are not many large commercial houses here. Captain Blackwood, as agent for Messrs. Bartram Bros. has a branch in this town. It is a large building, and a great deal of business is done there. There are several retail stores. An Iee Company has been lately established for the manufacture of that useful article. It owes its inception to Captain Pentheny and Mr. Canegata, the latter gentleman an enter- prising merchant and proprietor. A great deal of aérated water is made and drank in the island, Mr. M. Pretto, another energetic storekeeper, turning out thousands of bottles weekly, besides owning and superintending a successful mercantile business. His residence is one of the finest on King Street, all the doors and bannisters being of solid mahogany. Messrs. Pretto and Canegata are natives of the Danish West Indies, and this reminds me that most of them are very intelligent, have a fair English education, and have filled and do fill many important places under Government. The Schools are very good, compulsory education being in force. There is one newspaper, The St. Croix Avis, edited by John T, Quin, Esquire, F.R.G.S. An Englishman by birth, he has filled the important post of Inspector of Schools for many years. He is also Chairman of the Colonial Council. There are an agency of the Bank of St. Thomas, a Club, and an Apothecary’s Hall. The Sheriff's Court, Dealing Court, and Police Court are conducted much on the same lines as those in St. Thomas. The Central Factory stands just outside the town of Christiansted, not far from the Jail. It is carried on under Government inspection, and turns out a large quantity of sugar every year. We have alluded lengthily to it in a former work, “Leaflets from the Danish West Indies.” It is satisfactory to note that it is now a successful if not a paying institution, being ably managed, employing a great many hands, and another illustration of how capital properly employed may benefit a community. 16. A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. The “Farm” or hospital is romantically situated on the top of .a hill overlooking the town. It is kept in’ a: high: state of efficiency by V. C. Haid, Esquire, the Superintendenf, who gives a hearty welcome to anyone desirous of inspect- a ing it. - Of the inhabitants themselves, a whole volume might be written. As I have said in “Our Island of the Sea,” they are orderly and respectable. There is an air of comfort prevailing quite striking. The climate is equable, and no one is exposed to the vicissitudes of life which assail one in more populous centres. Labour is in constant demand, and those who are willing to work can always find something to do. More could be scarcely desired, except that wealth which does not often bring happiness. Now for a drive through the country to Frederiksted. Snugly seated in a phaeton you bowl along at a rapid rate. Passing the splendid residence of Bulowsminde, now the residence of Robert Armstrong, Esquire, and once belonging to His Excellency, Governor-General Von Schdélten, you leave estate after estate behind you, new views of infinite beauty opening up at every turn of the road. There are sugar eanes on both sides of you, long avenues shaded by stately palms with here and there trees, such as the flamboyant, all aflame with scarlet flowers, or the silk cotton with enormous misshapen roots, and long horizontal branches on which grow a multitude of parasites and air plants; flowers of all kinds carpet the roadsides. Now and then you meet a labourer, who respectfully salutes you. Then a great sugar cart wend- ing its way, slowly along, drawn by six oxen and laden with two or three hogsheads of sugar, or may be a light and strong wagon, heaped up with sugar in bags, drawn much more rapidly by two mules; types of the new and the old way of doing things. And as you near Frederiksted, just outside the town, you come across a lot of women busily washing in the Gut, named facetiously by a friend of mine, “The public ’ wash tub,” of Frederiksted. Then you drive into the town, snd away from the glare of the sun you may find yourself ted in the splendid room of the Club located on the Bay A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. 17 Street fronting the roadstead. This is another outcome of the restless energy of Captain Blackwood, and is built over his large stores, forming a handsome addition to the many other fine buildings which adorn Frederiksted and the Bay Street in particular. There are several commercial houses represented in this town, besides the large interests of Messrs. Bartram Bros. Messrs. R. L. Merwin & Co. occupy a fine store on the Bay Street, in which they do a fair share of the island’s business. Mr. R. L. Merwin, their senior, is an American; . young, energetic, and enterprising, he enjoys the respect and confi- dence of the community. A branch of Messrs. McDougal & Co., of St. Thomas, who have another in Christiansted, and the house of Melchior & Sons, Copenhagen, whose courteous repre- sentatives, Messrs. Dessau & Ford, are well known throughout these islands, are also on this street. Messrs. Pearson & Co., of St. Thomas, have also considerable capital invested in enterprises both here and in Christiansted, and the retail stores are quite numérous and evidently prosperous. What will strike a close observer will be to see how many of them are superintended by females. They are, all of them, of native birth, and some of them remarkable for their in- dustry and capacity. Though this may be said of all Dano- West Indian women, who are a credit to their sex as house- wives and for their intelligence. Counsellor Faber, K.D., owns the Apothecary’s Hall. It is well supplied, and has realised for its owner a handsome competence, which it is to be hoped he may live many years yet to enjoy. As in Christiansted there are churches of various denominations, all of which are attended on Sundays and holy days. The Crucians are a religious people, and think much of their parsons, who do excellent work among them, being their friends and advisers on all occasions. There are a hospital and other charitable institutions. The hospital has been superintended for many years by H. N. Mallgrav, Esquire, and is a model of good management. An old red Fort fronts the roadstead to the east of the town. It has a history, more than one notable occurrence having b 18 A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST. CROIX. taken place within or around its walls. From its ramparts was read by Governor Von Schélten the proclamation which made the slaves free in 1848. It was stormed by the rioters in 1879 at the time of the riots At its gates, John C. du Bois, an English clergyman and British vice-consul, breasted the angry mob and tried to stay them in their mad work. Just outside, a planter, Mr. Fontaine, met his death at the hands of the rioters. And inside, when authority once more asserted itself, many of these poor misguided beings were shot to death, tied to trees, which yet remain to remind those who live in these days of what is the eventual result of re- bellion against law and order backed up by the bayonet and rifle. No one looking at the fine street running along the side of the sea would believe that only a few years ago it was laid in ashes with the greater portion of the town. It seemed impossible to me at the time when I first witnessed it, in 1879, after the awful scenes of riot, arson, and pillage which took place on the night of the 2nd of Oct., that it ever would be built again, and yet here it is better than before, with handsome buildings and a prosperous people inhabiting them; proving what great resources are in the island if only properly directed. The port of Frederiksted is a very busy one during crop time. The Quebec Line is represented by Major Moore, who occupies a spacious dwelling on the Bay Street, where he has his offices underneath. The steamers of this Company call there twice a month; also those of Messrs. Pickford and Black, for whom Messrs. R. L. Merwin are the agents. Schooners and other vessels ply between Frederiksted, St. Thomas, and the adjacent islands, and the town is very lively when a party of tourists arrive from the United States; then every tropical product is in demand. Bay rum, fruit, and curios, with the famous conch pearl, find a ready market, and the owners of phaetons, horses, and buggies do a flourishing business with the new comers. American flags fly, and, if one might judge from the conversation, everyone has become an American for the time being. And this brings A FEW WORDS ABOUT ST, CROIX. 19 me to a subject which has been on the tapis for the past few years, a subject interesting to the writer and perhaps many more, and that is, the cession of these islands to the United States. I have already spoken about the possibility of St. Thomas becoming the naval and coaling station of America, and of the mutual advantages which might accrue therefrom. Equally so would it be if St. Croix were included in the bargain. Its inhabitants are looking for it, especially those who have a considerable stake in the country. They feel that the mere fact of belonging to so great and commer- cial a nation means the infusion of new ideas, wealth, and prosperity. Not that they have aught to complain of the good government under which they have lived so happily, socially, and politically, for so many years. But there is a general impression all through the West Indies that the American flag will float over them some day; and it is be- lieved that the Danish West Indies will lead the van. That America will not be a loser, as far as St. Croix is concerned, anyone who knows the industry of its people, its resources, the large amount ‘of capital, American capital especially, in-. vested in it, can testify. And then its enchanting scenery will more than ever make it a resort for the American, weary of old watering-places which outside of their fine hotels have grown flat, stale, and unprofitable. Here, amid the lovely green of its cultivated estates, its palm groves, or on its sea shore with its white rolling surf, will he find such de- light, such variety and novelty as can be found no where in the world but in “The Garden of the West Indies.” b 2 ROBERT L, MERWIF, W. HARCOURT WOODS. ROBT. L. MERWIN & Co. EXPORT & IMPORT Commission and General Merchants, FREDERIKSTED, ST. CROIX, W. I. Cable Address: Merwrin, St. Croix. Codes Used: Merchants, Watkins & Appendix, A.B.C. AGENTS FOR Corporation of Lloyd’s, London, E.C. Pickford & Black’s West India Steamship Line, St. John, Halifax and Demerara Route. e Oakdale Manufacturing Co., Providence, R.I., Manufacturers of Superior High Grade Oleomargarine. The Aérmotor Co., Chicago, Illinois, Manufacturers of Galvanised Steel Windmills and Towers. | CONSIGNMENTS RECEIVED AND ACCOUNT SALES WITH REMITTANCES PROMPTLY RENDERED. SHIP BROKERS, SHIP STORES, AND ESTATE SUPPLIES. MANUFACTURE & SHIPMENT OF BAY RUM A SPECIALITY. Branches: CHRISTIANSTED, ST. CROIX. 73, WALL STREET, NEW YORK. COMMERCIAL HOTEL, ST. THOMAS, KEPT BY MRS. BARENTZEN. RRAAR ARR AA RAN English and French Cookery, Covers laid at all hours of the day and night. FRENCH AND FOREIGN WINES, Liqueurs and Drinks of all sorts. PRIVATE ROOMS. This Establishment, from its privileged central situation, nearest to the King’s Wharf, reduced prices, and prompt service, is most recommendable. COOL and COMMODIOUS ROOMS, HOT and COLD BATHS. E. SCHRODER’S MANUFACTORY OF Soda-water, Lemonade, Ginger-ale, Orange Tonic, Kola Champagne, &c., AS SUPPLIED TO AMERICAN, ARGENTINE, DANISH, ENGLISH, FRENCH, GERMAN, ITALIAN, RUSSIAN, SWEDISH, AND BRAZILIAN WARSHIPS. QUALITY GUARANTEED. PRICES MODERATE. EMPTY BOTTLES RECEIVED FOR REFILLING. —E. SCHRODER’S Bay Spirit and Bay Spirit Soap ARE MADE FROM BEST MATERIALS. ALWAYS IN STOCK: CANNED AND OTHER PROVISIONS, BISCUITS, CONFECTIONERY, Wines, Gin, Brandy, Liqueurs, Oils, Syrups, Sugars, Angostura Bitters, Pilsener Beer, Kananga Water, Eau de Cologne, Florida Water, Bay Oil, &c., &c. J. H. FECHTENBURG & CO., Commission Merchants. SO Te waa Provisions, Liquors, Wines, &c. aa a a ee eee eee ee ST. THOMAS, D.W.1I. Prompt Attention giwen to Orders. D. G. FONSECA. General Provision = AND -= Commission Merchant, ST. THOMAS. ODL OOOO A choice and varied assortment of Can and Bottle Preserves and Family Groceries aiways on hand. FRESH SUPPLIES BY EVERY ARRIVAL. "S3LVY LSSMOT LV GalIddNS S3YOLS .SdIHS CHAIRS, ROCKERS, ROPE, NAILS, LEATHER, &c., &c. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. BAZAR DE NOVEDADES. AAA ALAA! G. LEWwWirmrTti, Agent for “LA FIDUCIA LIGURE,” ST. THOMAS. Importer of French, English, German, American, and Italian Merchandise. FRESH SUPPLIES BY FREQUENT ARRIVALS. PRICES DEFYING COMPETITION. Dealer both by Wholesale and WRetail. HENRY 0. CREQUE, General Commission Merchant AND SHIP CHANDLER. ge ee DEALER IN PLAIN and JAPANNED TINWARE and Tinmen’s Supplies, PAINTERS’ AND OILMEN’S SUPPLIES, GLASSWARE AND GLASS ORNAMENTS, LAMPWARE, EARTHENWARE, PORCELAIN, AND General House Furnishing Hardware. No. 29, Main St., ST. THOMAS. THE ST. THOMAS COAL DEPOT, BRONDSTED & CO., Rayvyp Contractors, ST. TEOMAS. — Agents of CORY BROTHERS & Co. LONDON AND CARDIFF. ——- -—- —— Supply of Best CARDIFF, CUMBERLAND, NEWCASTLE, ANTHRACITE, AND SCOTCH ALWAYS KEPT IN STOCK. ee Se ee ee eee ee a mmm: oe) Steamers drawing up to 27 feet can be coaled from their safe and commodious jetties at the rate of 50 to 100 tons per hour, Day or Night. = ee eee ee eee eee DROITS a SHIPPING SUPPLIED WITH FRESH WATER. co — F 2096 .T23 A few words about St. Croix, t 3 6105 036 591 076 DATE DUE STANFORD UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES STANFORD, CALIFORNIA 94305 H. MICHELSEN, Bay Rum, Bay Salts, and Florida Water, NEW YORK, 36, BROADWAY. ST. THOMAS, WEST INDIES, 28, MAIN STREET. MEDALS AWARDED: BosTON, MASS. ... 1883 AMSTERDAM - 1883 New Or EAns, La. . 1884-5 ANTWERP 1885 LOUISVILLE, Ky. 1885 BERLIN ... vee wee 1885 NEw ORLEANS, LA. . 1885-6 LIVERPOOL, G. B. 1886 BERLIN ... 1887 PaRIS 1889 HIGHEST AWARD at World's Columbian Exposition Chicago, 1893. The use of the clear Bay Rum, of the colour of Rhenish Wine, has been recom- mended by eminent physicians in the following manner :—- AS A HEALING MEDIUM. 1. For tender feet, by rubbing with a few tablespoonfuls on going to bed. 2. For the hair, when thin and inclined to fall, by rubbing the scalp in the morning with a tablespoonful, whereby the roots will be stimulated and strengthened. 3. After long and fatiguing rides or walks, by rubbing the entire body with the article mixed with water (principally the feet after walking), whereby after a half-hour’s time, not only will the application refreshen, but also produce renewed strength generally. AS A COSMETIC AND TOILET ARTICLE. For washing the face, a few tablespoonfuls added to water. will suffice, and by a continued use the skin of the face obtains a more brilliant and animated appearance. For the bath, quarter of a bottle in an ordinary bathing pan. For headaches and other pains, caused by cold or over-exertion, Bay Rum is often applied by rubbing, as stated above, and in case of headache by bandages saturated with the article. Bay Rum, the product of the leaves and berries of the Bay Tree (Pimento acris), and pure Rum invigorates and strengthens the nerves, and possesses a refreshing odour. Great care must be observed in the manufacture of Bay Rum, and, I may here state, that as certified by eminent physicians and chemists, my article, above all others, is highly recommendable for the qualities mentioned above. H. MICHELSEN.