Y CROI A VID ' ivas’ Visit To St. Groix, Virgi United States Press Representativas’ Visit To St. Groix, Yirgin Islands, U, S. A Sianas, U,o A THURSDAY February 21st, 1924, - AS REVIEWED BY BUMBLE BEE EN ROUTL —:0:—:0:—0:: (Continued from yesterday’s Avis.) Continuing down King Street, with now a vista of the harbor, as we look down the street we approach and pass a large church on our right which is St. John’s Aaglo Catholic Church. The building was destroved by fire in 1866, but was rebuilt in years follhwing by great self denial of its parishioners in collecting the necessary funds for the reconstruction of their church. The church is now under the pastorate of the Rev. H. M. Pizott who has worked unceasingly towards embelishing this grand edifice with its high volted ceiling, spacious interior highly decorated with many interesting tab- lets in memory of bygone worthies and furnished with solid mahogzany pews highly polished. The chureh is considered the largest e lifice of its kind situated in any of the parishes of the Anglitan Faith of the diocese of Antigua of whieh it was formerly a art. . During the British occupation of St. Croix between 18)7—1815 it was the center of life and death of the arway of oeccupation which wes garrisoned in the nzighbourhood of Christiansted and the ehurch burial register bears mute evidence of the ravages of vellow fever at the time by the daily entry of the numerous burials in the adjacent church vard, so numerous that the Rector of the R2gimental Chaplain could not per- form the last rites of those unfortunate men. The forces were under command of (General Pakenham who later left his command in St. Croizx and proceeded to the island of Jamaica to organize a great force which virtualiy became an armada. having among its troops soldiers who were some of the best of Wellington’s troops who had fought on the Spanish Peninsular for descent upon New Orleans which he finally aceo nplished in brave military style in Decembar 1814, and there met his death before ''Old Hickory’” who was fighting from bzhind bales of cotton as breast work hastily thrown up upon the appearance of the enemy, a most de- cisive and sanguinary battle was fought but to no effeet as peace had already been signed at vhent, Belgium; however, General Jackson by this engagement, though re- grettable, earned a popularity that afterwards made him President of the United States and while our popular guest of St. Croix a few months before met his death glorinusly but unnecessarily. Continuing down the street to the right through a side street we catch a glimpse of the Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church, for many years in charge of the Redemtorist Order of Belgium, but since the transfer graciously surrendered to the same Order from the United States, their activities have b2en thorcuzh and great towards educational improvement and the uplift of the people and many worthy beneficiaries among which is the continuation of the Convent Nuns who daily assume the burden of teaching the children of their ehurch. We see on the left a large building known as ‘‘Pentheny’s Hote|’. Here the tra- veller was received during the past fifty years through mother and son with the utmost hospitality and this all guide books and books deseribing the island during that period never fail to record- Across the street is a park formerly the site of the Court House many years aback and now a memorial pa k to the memory of Peter Carl Limpricht, Governor of the Danish West Indies from 1903 to 1912 who was greatly loved by all classes for his frank, jovial manaer and ever courteous reception of all as he had served for many years before becoming Governor as Government S2cretary in,Christiansted for St. Croix- His widow still lives in town a recluse from the gay life of Copenhagen to he among the scenes of the life in St. Croix which she loves so well. The translation from the Danish languaaze of the inscription inseribzd on the Monu- ment reads in translation as follows: PETER CARL LIMPRICHT COMMAND®R OF DANMNEBROG GOVERMMENT SECRETARY FROM 12 SEPTE VBER, 1883 TO 11 MARCH 1998. AND GOVERNOR OF THE DANISH WEST INDIA [SLANDS FROM APRIL 1908 to FKBRUARY 19i2. (To be eontinued.) LOCAL . due at Fredcriksted at 6 o’clock on Mon- it e e . day morning from Windward Islands. The s. s. '‘Guiana’ for New York is e SQUABS FOR SALE VI%%E&?&SEEL’ Quebec Steamship Cec. THE S. S. “GUIANA” from Windward Islands on her way to New York is due at Frederiksted at 6 o’eloek on Monday morning. ROB’T. L. MERWIN & Co. Ixc,, Agérs. LIST OF UNCLAIMED MAILFOR THE WEEK ENCED MA*RCH 8, 1924 Miss Esta Allin, Miss Eugenie Baker, Mrs. Julia Bartiey; Farm Hill, Miss Emyline [-eaunsen, Mr. Aifreus Roynes; cfo Fiastick, Miss Edith Bryan; Gallows Bay, Mr. Robert Daiton, Mr. Ebbinesar Daniel; Free Gut, Mrs. Christina Ford; 'ompany St., Miss Catherine Hariis Mr. Christian B.- Henry, Mrs. Eiiza Herbert, Mr. Alickz:inder Howard, Mrs. Niome Jackson, Miss Hiida Jordan, Mrs. Elane Joseph; ¢/o Anesta Galway, Miss {rene King; La Princesse, Miss Margret Martin, Mr. Johny Mason; King Cross St., M:. Edward Nickel, Miss Dothia Petersen, Mrs. Francis Phillips, Miss Elise Phillips; Hill St., : Miss Elisia Pickering, Mr. Harralder Richard, Mrs. Mena Roberts; Hill St., Miss Helena Robinson, Mr. Isaiah Ronan; 10 Hill St., Mr. Walter Rouse, Mrs. Mariha Samuel, Mrs. Dagmar Smith. Miss Charlotte Williams, Mr. John V. Wiihams. Post Ofiice, Christiansted, Virgin Is- lands, Mareh 10, 1924. B. R. LARSIIN, Postmaster. The first batch of sailors to be quarier- ed at Parade Ground returned to their ghip at Frederiksted yesterday and an- other contingent arrived later in the day. There are 26 tents in all erecied two large and 24 smali, each tent being furnished for two n>rsons. The very calm weather which gre- vailed last night is doubtless the rea- son for the non-arrival of the mail-boat from St. Thomas. A fair wind is blow- ing from a favorable direction this morn- ing and the Mizpah may put in an ap- pearance iater today.