WEST END MOVIES FREDERIKSTED Saturday Night 8.15 Triflins With Honor 3 REELS. OBITUARY It is our melancholy duty to record the passing awav ves.erday at 11. 30a. m. of Mr. FREDERICK C. JACKSON, SR., ex- policeman, and jriner in his 76th year, fol- lowing a pericd ot failing health, he hav- ing been confin=d to his home for the past weeks. The deceased was a much respeeted member of this commu- nity where he wus born and resided all his life, 37 years of which were spent in the gervice of the Police Depart- ment until 1916, when he left the force through conscientious objections to exe- cute an order of the Captain of the Gen- darmery Corps. Later on Mr.Jackson was engaged by the Danish administration as street inspector for which job he show- ed himseif to be well fitted effecting some good work in the repair of the streets of this town. He was in receipt of a liheral pension from the munricipal trea- sury, passed by the local council, which indicated the sympathy and regard he en- joyed as a deserving public employee and citizen. Os his immediate relatives alson, Bandmaster Jackson, and two daughters, survive him, and our sympathy is ex- tended to all bereaved. * The funeral is fixed for 4.30 p. m. this afternoon from the resjdence No. 43 and 44 Company St. to the Lutheran Chureh. LOCAL The musical and dramatic entertain- ment given at the Labour Union Hall last night by the ‘*Mite Missionary S)ciety’’ of the A. M. E. Church, was well attend- ed and offorded an enjoyable evening to an appreciative audience. Talent and humor were n>t lacking and the parts by the littie children were commendably rendered. The sloop ‘‘Mizpah’’with St. Thomas mail is here this morping. We have been asked to say that the new post office boxes are now installed and ready to be rented, Those who filed application for boxes and others inter- ested will kindly call at the post office and arrange. 21 U LRD 132 AYILB TELEGRAMS. ST. CROIX STATION. Washington, March Is., —l'he leveuue measure arrived in the ceaate (uday, j . 3 ’ e sGs v‘ . United States Press Reprasentatives’ Visit 1o St Groix, Yirgi Islands, Y. S A, THURSDAY February 21st, 1924 AS REVIEWED BY BUMBLE BEE EN ROUTE Yo:—:0:—0:: (Continued from yesterday’'s Avis.) As we motor on, we pass through the well cultivated fields of “Strawberry Hill”’; incidentall7, this is the most eastern plantation of the West Indian Sugar Factory. And now turning south and again east we pass estate ‘‘Diamond and Ruby”’, the pro- narty and residence of the Hon Robt, W. Skeoch, Vice-Chairman of the Colonial Coun- ¢il, and an eldest son of the famous o d Scotchman, the late Robert Skeoch. B:ginaingz with this estate, the cane grown goes to the St. Croix Sugar Factory on the coast near Christiansted. Continuing with a turn to the right and then to the left we pass esiate “Jion Farm’’, one of ihe largest estates in the island, and some seventy years ago toe property and residence of Admiral Christmas, a retired officer of the Darish Navy. He was a jovial and kind-hearted man and frequently entertained his friends with most sumptuous banquets. No mansion of the day was better known for its festivities than Sion Farm. On the right is estate ‘‘Castle Coakley”’. The cones of its former two wind- il towers is an evidence of keen industry looking toward increased production. Steam mills for grinding sugar canes began displacing wind mills shortly afier 1340. Motoring along, to the left in the distance is a hill on which is situated esta’e ‘‘Sion Hill”” with its old eone standing out against the sky line. This estate enjoys the unigue ‘distinction of being the last estate to make sugar by windmill power, taeir last crop season being in 1886. Necessity of the times forced a change as it vus better to recoiva the value of six pounds of sugar for 100 pounds of cane, the very best the oid windmili could produce with its erude machinery than to pay the cons2quent bilis for manufactur- ing, receiving not more for the gross product than was obtained by delivering the caae diveet 1o the Central Factory at its grinding station not far distant. Cont nuing, before we make our rext turn to the right we see on the hill to the north the ruins of the resi- dence of former Governor Von Scholton, which is estate “‘Bulowsminde’’. It is fre- quently called *‘General Hill’”by the old natives as beina the residence of the Governor General of the Dapnish *West Indies. The building was 6JO fest above sea level with a clear view to the north of St. Thomas, 40 miles away. I.ven the houses on the hiils of the town are visible almost any day, and the steamers entering and leaving the harbpor, while the tiny fishing boats form an addition to the scenery as thay pl7 their trade. [l'ne view to the west from this elevated position was a beautiful landscape of sugar estates and cane-pieces streiching for miles in the distance forminy a gizantic chess-board. Here Major-General £, von Scholton, one of the most active and versatile yov:rnors ihat ever held office under the Darish regime, who was Governor from 1327 to 1848, made his country residence. It was a large massive structure, with many rooms and spacious halis and marble steps leading up to the main entrance. Adjoining was a large stone building called ‘‘Hafensight’’ and modestly known as “"the cottage”’, built as the resi- dence of his house-keeper. The estate had been carved out of three idjoiniog estates; to the west, from estate ‘‘Constitution Hill’’;from the estate '‘Reeston Hill”’;and to the north estate *‘Belivue’’. This made ,"'Bulowsminde’’ an estate of 75 acres. A road with an easy grade was laid leading up to the residence while another road was built as an exit to the east and west. To accomplish this estate, owners on the island were each requested to send artisans and laborers from their properties, a levy being about ten each week. Thus each estate contributed toward the erection of this summer palace. The property remained intact until the summer of 1839 whe it was badiy damawzed oy the hurricane, then, shortly afterwards by fire, and finally by the hurricane of 1916. she largeness of the building and the absence of anything like a remuucrative tenant pre- verted reconstruction by the owners. As we look around from our position, away to the north the experienced eye can discern the rewaining building of estate ‘‘Rattan’’. That estate, until sold some thirty years ago, was the property of the Towers family who had held it for a great many years; and large-hearted though peppery Patrick Mc Dermott from Connought, Ireland, had been its manager andfattorney for the family for many years. He had come to St. Croix in the year 1828 at the age of 28 years, and quickly assume a responsible position in the life of the i.wwud. il2 lived cer2 until his geatn in 104, dyag at the excelient age of 104 years, «.i active and energetic man until kis last days. dad the visitor of to- day come in his time, ne would have insisied that every mother’s son of them, no matter how many, take *‘rot-luck’ with him”’, no maiter woen, waere, ¢ 'how it was to be accomplished Hi- heu.t was so biy, kis hosoitaliity so spon anevas, and his personality 0 strong that it wuwd uave veeu uupossibie 10 piead siress ol business as a pretext of refusing. Now as we continue our journey, we turn to the right and upon our left is Peter’s Rest School House, another of the educztional monuments erected ia preparation Zor